Full-Stack PHP Web Developer
SplashLab Social is looking for a full-stack PHP web developer to help create large scale digital advertising campaigns, custom web apps, and ecommerce solutions.
PHP web development experience is preferred (Yii, Laravel, Symfony, Zend, etc), but if you are an amazing engineer and have similar web development experience (Ruby on Rails, Python/Django, .NET, etc), please apply! Experience building ecommerce stores using Magento 2 and CMS development using Drupal 8 would be highly beneficial as well. We fully realize a developer's skill and value is not determined by their go-to programming language or framework (we love Python too), we just happen to leverage a lot of open source PHP projects, like Magento and Drupal.
A word about titles: we are calling this job opening "Full-Stack PHP Web Developer", but we welcome applications from those who consider themselves any of the following: software engineer, software architect, web developer, programmer, hacker, coder, computer scientist, devops, "ninja", "rockstar", "wizard"... etc. We had to choose one title.
- Interact with project managers to help define and implement custom software projects
- Build web applications using the latest coding standards, frameworks, and tools.
- Utilize best practices for web page loading efficiency and performance: CDNs, CSS/JS minification, image spritification, etc
- Write automated tests using current best practices
- Develop, test, and occasionally suggest features for individual client projects (sometimes building "one-off" standalone apps).
- Research and suggest changes to our technology stack and workflow to more quickly and effectively build and deliver client projects.
- Innovate new ways to leverage social media APIs and other new technology to further our client's goals.
- Be self-directed, self-motivated and able to work without supervision.
Skills & Qualifications
- BS in Computer Science or related area, or relevant work experience
- 3+ years full-time Object Oriented PHP 5.3+ development experience
- 3+ years modern web application development experience (MVC frameworks, REST APIs, etc)
- Database fluency, both relational (MySQL, MariaDB, etc) and NoSQL (MongoDB, CouchDB, Cassandra, Hadoop, etc)
- Ability to set up VM based local development environment using open source tools (Vagrant, etc)
- Git (or other version control software) experience
- General online availability during US working hours (+/- one or two hours from Mountain Time)
- Strong communication skills, fluent English, with legal US employment status
- 1+ years unit testing experience (i.e. PHPUnit, Jasmine, etc)
- 1+ years of Ubuntu/Debian/Linux server administration experience (Nginx, PHP-FPM, MySQL/MariaDB, MongoDB, etc)
- Experience building ecommerce sites using Magento 1/2
- Experience building sites on Drupal 7/8 CMS
- Experience building responsive sites using Bootstrap
- Experience building complex CSS3 stylesheets using Less/Sass
- Front-end build automation using Grunt/Gulp/Webpack/etc
- Web application security knowledge
- Experience using continuous integration (CI) tools (Jenkins or other)
- Scalable web application development and operations experience
- Chef/Puppet/Salt/Ansible/etc server configuration and automation experience
- Knowledge of other programming languages/paradigms (compiled/scripting, functional, typed, etc)
- Active use and knowledge of latest social networks/apps, websites, technology, gadgets, etc
- Responsible enjoyment of beer
Founded in Bozeman Montana in 2010, SplashLab Social makes social applications and online marketing tools for some of the largest companies in the US. The applications we build vary in both complexity and scale. Some are simple and see massive traffic, others are more complex experiments with cutting edge technology and have more limited releases. Writing and deploying code for Fortune 500 company's national advertising campaigns is challenging and rewarding work - we enjoy it and hope you will too.
Our culture is very informal and pragmatic. We are a small, bootstrapped company from Montana, and as such we have neither the desire nor the means to compete with Silicon Valley's ridiculous nap rooms, fireman poles, video games, etc. We think work should be fulfilling, but not life-consuming. We want to create high quality, innovative applications for our clients - then head home to do the other things we love. In our case: fishing, skiing, hunting, hockey, mountain biking, etc. This is why we choose to live in places like Montana and Utah, and we hope you feel the same!
Candidates need to be highly self-motivated and self-directed to thrive in this autonomous environment.
Our main office is in Bozeman, Montana, and the ideal candidate will work in-office, but we also consider remote positions.
Type of Employment
Salary Range & Benefits
- Competitive salary; based on location and dependent on experience (DOE)
- Paid health insurance
- Live and work in Bozeman, Montana
- 3 weeks of vacation
Please send resume and example work to email@example.com
Last updated: Jan 09, 2017